Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bread and Jam Loaf

Thanksgiving is Thursday and I don't have any great recipes for that, so here's one I do for Christmas. I did these a couple of years ago as gifts and so many people asked for the recipe. I originally got this recipe off of a recipe card from Rhodes Rolls but I changed it just a smidge. Sorry I couldn't find a picture of it, but it looks really pretty when sliced with the white bread and colorful jam. Here's their recipe and the slight change I did to it.

Ingredients:
-20 Rhodes Dinner rolls, thawed but still cold (less if you're making a smaller loaf)
-1/2 cup jam (your favorite flavor, you might need a little more, or a little less, just depends, I used homemade strawberry jam)
-2 TBS sliced almonds (optional)

Icing ingredients:
-1 TBS butter, melted
-1 cup powdered sugar
-1 or 2 TBS water
-1/4 tsp almond extract
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Flatten each roll into a 4-inch circle. Place a teaspoon of jam in the center of each roll. Pinch edges of dough together to enclose filling. Place filled rolls in a 9x5-inch sprayed loaf pan, (or what I did was get the little loaf pans and made smaller loaves for individual people. I put 5 or 6 rolls in each little pan) just fill the bottom of the pan and start stacking on top. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap. Let dough rise to the top of the pan. Do not let dough over rise. Remove wrap and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or with the smaller loaves, you'll have to watch and check every few minutes after the first 15 minutes to make sure they don't burn. Cover with foil the last 10 minutes of baking. Remove from pan immediately and place on a cooling rack, right side up. Combine icing ingredients and mix well. Drizzle icing over cooled loaf.

It's very tasty!