Thursday, May 14, 2009

Granola

I got this recipe from my friend Michelle. I have not made it yet, but tasted hers. It was good because it kind of sticks together so you break it apart in chunks and can snack on it, or have it for cereal or make into granola bars. Yum!

Dry mixture Ingredients:

8 cups rolled oats
1 ½ cup wheat germ* (look below on *'s)
1 ½ cup oat bran*
1 cup sunflower seeds*
1 cup finely chopped almonds
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup finely chopped walnuts

Wet mixture ingredients:
1 ½ tsp salt
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
¾ cup honey
1 cup canola oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups raisins, craisins, or dried blueberries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with foil. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Combine wet mixture ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then pour over the dry ingredients and stir to coat. Spread the mixture evenly on the baking sheets
Bake until for 10 minutes, stir, and bake for 10 more minutes (longer if you like it crispy). Cool, then stir in dried fruit.

*Note from Michelle on what she does: I change these three ingredients according to what we have. My favorite, though, is to leave out the sunflower seeds and oat bran (I couldn’t find it at the store), then add milled flax seed (I found it at Costco), and AllBran (a wheat bran cereal) along with the wheat germ. I also substitute 2 cups of the rolled oats with quick oats for texture.

No comments: