Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Grain and Nut Whole Wheat Pancakes

I got this recipe (and the picture) off of allrecipes.com. I just love that website! I didn't add the nuts, but I did try adding some blueberries just on top of the batter after I poured it on the skillet, and those were good too. Talk about healthy! You could probably even omit the oil and do applesauce like a lot of people say they do in recipes. The best part of it? My kids loved them. Yum.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine. In a large bowl, combine ground oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

In another bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, oil, egg, and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix wet ingredients into dry with a few swift strokes. Stir in nuts, if desired.

Lightly oil a skillet or griddle, and preheat it to medium heat. Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet; cook the pancakes for 2 to 4 minutes per side, or until brown.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Mmm... those sound good! i have never seen oatmeal in a pancake recipe before. I want to try them!