Monday, August 11, 2008

Spaghetti Del Este

I get so excited for summer-time with fresh vegetables in the garden so I can make this yummy recipe my sister Janina gave me (it's in the family cookbook, in case you are wondering). Two recipes in a row from you Stumps:). Thanks for being great cooks! I think you can use this as a main dish, or as a salad (if using as a salad, I usually just change the pasta type to bow-tie or something else bite-size).



Ingredients:
1/2 c. olive oil (I sometimes use less, then add more if needed)
1 lb. Mozzarella cheese, cubed
1 tsp. basil (fresh is always better)
1 tsp. oregano
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1 small can sliced black olives, drained (I don't always add these)
6-8 large tomatoes, chopped into small pieces (in the picture, I used some green and red tomatoes, not non-ripe ones, but a tomato called Green Zebra that doesn't turn red)
Angel hair pasta

Directions:
Mix everything together except for the pasta. Set aside at room temperature for 3 hours, stirring occasionally (still yummy if you don't have that much time!). When ready to serve, boil angel hair pasta until done, drain, and quickly stir into the mixture and serve. Janina says she usually makes about 6 c. of pasta, I think I make less, but then use less olive oil too. I like to add sliced mushrooms to mine. I've tried it with shredded mozzarella cheese, but the chunks are good, kind of like a meaty addition. I also think some grilled chicken would be fabulous in this!

No comments: